Thursday, June 1, 2017

Munich: Around Town


When I'm out running errands or on my way somewhere, I'm always looking around to note landmarks, architecture, and interesting everyday sights that give me a sense of the city.

Here are a few from my first couple of months here in Munich...


Transportation

I'm not sure what this is, but I love it.

Munich loves its bikes! 
I saw these wooden
versions outside a
funky store downtown.

Seen from my apartment window:
a blimp advertising the city's
official website. This thing seemed to
appear everywhere I went
over the next couple of days.
Airline ad seen on the side of a tram. "Make America cheap again."

 Weather

April 18, 2017. Two weeks before this picture, we had temperatures in the high 70s and low 80s. Welcome to Munich!


May 28, 2017. Surfers in the English Garden. I don't know how cool the water was, but the air temperature was,
and continues to be, in the mid- to upper-80s. I guess summer is officially here.

Sights


View of the old town hall and part of downtown.

View out over the Isar River.
The Bavaria Statue. Turns out you can climb up to the top, inside the statue itself.
It was neat to get that perspective, but it gets very warm in there!

I wanted to climb this installation, "Umschreibung,"
in the courtyard of a business complex,
but the stairs were blocked off.

Every park should have a giant gastropod statue in front of it! 😏



Or a cool massive ring,
reminding us of the interconnectedness
of everything (or so I assume).















Food 

Just in case you have a group of picky eaters,
this place serves Indian, Thai, and Italian. Done!



I'm continually amazed at food and other
items that are labeled "American."
Like this "American" pastry.
(That's its name.)
It's a cross between a cookie and cake.
Unfortunately, we do not have
an equivalent to the "American"
in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment